While we evaluated several technology model solutions, we zeroed down on developing a Service-oriented Architecture (SOA) model to address these problems while providing a scalable and extensible system to be consumed by the E-commerce ecosystem. The services in the SOA Service layer were available to systems across the organization with a well-defined access control mechanism and provided a common interface to get desired data from the required systems. For example, to get the Product information from the Catalog system, the SOA Service layer provided an interface that any other system could use. Hence, there was a single point of interface, and any changes made to the service were abstracted at the Service layer.
SOA Service Layer Environment:
- The SOA Service layer instances were deployed on multiple servers to serve traffic using the load balancer.
- This layer was hosted on a private network of the organization and exposed through the proxy layer.
- Memcache was used for service cache. This cache reduced the load on hardware and expedited the response.
- The MongoDB database was used for access and error log.
- The Service signature made services secure from any external sources.
- The Custom Alerts system helped to find out failure in any systems and downstream systems.